Who said there’s nothing to do in the winter in Maine? Halcyon Yarn’s classroom has been humming with activity. Let’s see… in January nationally known rug puncher extraordinaire, Meg Little, lead a 3 day all inspiring, show stopping class! The ever popular, Denice Sharp, has been continually educating spinners and knitters with stellar instruction. The wildly popular Locker Hooking class with Susan Watson was bursting at the seams with folks on the wait list hoping to attend. So join the crowd, get out and come take a class at Halcyon Yarn. You’ll be glad you did!
Learn to tat using the shuttle method with international award winning tatter Elaine O’Donal of Tatted Webs. Beginning Tatting is scheduled Friday and Saturday, February 20 & 21. In this class you will learn everything you need to know to get started tatting from the basic tatting stitch to reading a pattern to how to finish your work. Tatting is a fun, different craft and is easy to carry around with you.
Spinning Revisited with Denice Sharp on Saturday, February 21st filled so quickly we added another session on Thursday March 5th from 10am-4pm. This is a great class to help you get started spinning again without fear. Denice will cover the workings of your wheel, treadle control and fiber properties. It’s everything you need to get back into spinning. Sign up quickly. We only have 2 spots left in this second session.
Join Jackie Ottino Graf on Friday, March 27th for Natural Dyeing for Beginners. The class will cover dye history, fiber preparation, mordant selection, and the making of dyes from natural materials looking at both ‘humble’ dyes made from garden plants, weeds, and foraged materials as well as ‘exotic’ dyes such as minerals, insects and other sources not locally available. Jackie will also cover how to use commercially available pre-made dye extracts. A great start for working with natural dyes.
Jackie Ottino Graf will be back on Saturday March 28th to teach Indigo Dyeing for Fiber Artists. Dyeing with Indigo has a long history, dating back to at least 2500 BC. There are many methods and techniques for using indigo. The method commonly used by production indigo dyers involves making a stock solution from powdered indigo. Learn how to make a concentrated stock and use it to add beautiful layers of blues to your fibers! We will cover proper procedure for working with indigo, making stocks, how to “read” a vat and adjust it for proper dyeing conditions.
There are many other classes too! All are listed on the Halcyon Yarn web site class listings page, so check them out. Preregistration is necessary to reserve a place in class. Hurry – you don’t want to miss out.
Please don’t hesitate to call for more information (1-800-341-0282 or 207-442-7909). New classes are added all the time so check back often.
Don’t see just the class you want to take? No problem. Halcyon Yarn offers private lessons too. Give us a call (1-800-341-0282 or 207-442-7909) and let us set up a class just for you.
Be part of New England Textile Arts (NETA) Spa, Knit and Spin 2015 … a fun fiber event happening in Freeport, Maine at the Hilton Garden Inn and Harraseeket Inn, February 26 thru March 1, 2015. Imagine spending a weekend or even a day or an afternoon being surrounded by like minded individuals who inspire and reaffirm your love of fiber arts. This informal event is a group of passionate fiber folks from all over New England and beyond (members and non-members) who gather together one weekend in the winter to enjoy each others company, spa treatments, shopping, great food & drink and general all around fiber delights. No fees, no agendas, no workshops – just fibery relaxation and good fun with a few extra attractions thrown in for good measure. Ahh, this could be just the break you need this winter.
For all Spa, Knit & Spin 2015 attendees who visit Halcyon Yarn (we’re just a 20 minute drive up the coast) Thursday, Friday and Saturday, February 26th – 28th, we’re offering a 15% discount on purchases over $50 (in-store only, excludes floor looms, special orders, classes, and bulk 3 pricing). To take advantage of these great savings all you have to do is ask for the NETA discount. It’s that easy!
Halcyon Yarn will be open Thursday and Friday, February 26 & 27, 2015, 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM and Saturday, February 28, 2015, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Closed Sunday.
The dates are set for Halcyon Yarn’s annual FiberME guided tour! August 2nd-7th, 2015 will be a week filled with all things fibery and all things Maine. It’s a winning combination you won’t find anywhere else. Coastal Maine offers a unique and beautiful venue (especially in summer) for visiting artists’ studios, spinning mills, dye houses, fiber farms, educational centers and galleries. Back by popular demand will be our Maine artisan “marketplace” event in which you’ll be able to purchase handmade items from some of Maine’s most talented craftspeople. A traditional Maine Lobster Bake will close out the week on Friday afternoon, August 7. Check out all the details, including a full itinerary on our website.
For immediate questions contact Jane at Halcyon Yarn by calling 1-800-341-0282 or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We were struck by the creativity of Sarah Weippert in her winning entry for our win your wish list contest (blog category). Wonderful to read about her creative endeavors in the “off-season”, when her duties with Soper Ocean Services and Gurnet Trading allow. Great to be introduced to your creativity Sarah, wishing you the best in all your endeavors!
Karen LaPorte maintains a wonderful and inspiring blog. Thoroughly enjoyed her entry (which won the social category) and browsing her blog! She’s doing wonderful design work – fun, sassy, classic! – as well as selling finished works on Etsy. Congrats and thanks for inspiring us!
Congratulations to all, and thank you to all participants! We feel enriched and inspired by our creative customers.
Since it’s the end of the year congratulations are in order for 3 individuals, our monthly, quarterly and year end winners. So congratulation to…
Carol M. from Ridgecrest, CA! She is the winner of the December drawing for a $10 Halcyon Yarn gift certificate coupon.
Linda W. from Titusville, FL! She is the winner of the 4th quarter drawing for a $25 Halcyon Yarn gift certificate coupon.
And drum roll please… Our annual drawing for a $50 Halcyon Yarn gift certificate coupon goes to Marilyn P. from Wicomico Church, VA.
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to give us feedback. We really appreciate it. Please keep your comments coming in 2015.
Remember, you could be a winner too. Each time you place an order you’ll receive a “WIN” Ticket or an on-line feedback survey. Respond to either and you’ll automatically be entered in our monthly, quarterly and year end drawing (see the link for complete details).
Our Cozy Kiddos hat and mitten collection is in full swing here at Halcyon Yarn! We’ve been fortunate to receive some lovely cozy items but we’re always looking for more.
Make sure to come by the shop this Saturday December 13th, we’ll have free patterns and refreshments if you’d like to stay and knit for this great cause. Bring your stash yarn and needles and whip up a little something warm! Event hours are 10am – 2pm.
Can’t make it in – we’ll gladly accept items through the mail as well as in the shop during regular hours at the address below. Please join Halcyon Yarn’s effort to knit and collect hats and mittens to be distributed to local schools and facilities this winter. Chilly kids come in all sizes from toddlers to teens, let’s work together together to keep them warm!
12 School St
Bath ME 04530
Mon – Fri 9am – 6pm
Sat 9am – 4pm
Sun 12pm – 3:30pm
Three days left to “win your wish list”! $300, $200, and $50 gift certificates are up for grabs.
It’s been fun to see lists being made, and we’ve had some great feedback as well. Most recently we made it easier to add items to your fist wish list by simplifying the interface. Have you given it a try yet? Be sure to do so by Friday, December 12th to enter the contest. With questions, email Amos!
Entering is as easy as 1,2,3:
1) Make a wish list. Here is how.
2) Share it. With the share button! Or on your blog…
3) Let us know / enter contest here!
Be sure to check out all the details here.
Wish – Share – Win! UPDATE: Deadline extended to 12/12/2014.
Fiber artists are creative, unique and inspiring individuals, who have creative, unique and inspiring tastes, which can make buying a gift for a fiber artist a little tricky. So – do your friends and family a favor and create your own Halcyon Yarn Wishlist! Share your custom Wishlist via email, social media, public blog or website to get the word out and you could even Win-Your-Wishlist!*
Anyone can make and share wish-lists on our website, just log in (accounts are free of course!) to get started. Halcyon is offering three Win-Your-Wishlist prizes. To enter, create a wish list (how-to / tips here), share it, and then let us know about it.
Here are the categories and prizes:
- Blog / website share category, $300 gift certificate: One winner who has shared their inspiring wish list on their public blog/website. We are so SO indebted to the countless fiber-arts blogs out there with inspiring and helpful ideas, materials, how-to’s and more. The grand prize is a way of thanking those who blog or have their own website, in recognition of the rewards that we find from this source. (If you would like to start your own blog/website, there are plenty of ways to do so for free: blogger, wordpress are two popular services. Try it, it’s fun!)
- Social media share, $200 gift certificate: One winner who has shared their wish list publicly on social media. Social media is inspiring too! It’s quick and easy, and a great way to share inspiration
- Public wish-list, $50 gift certificate: Two prizes to customers who simply create a public wish list on our site. Feel free to email this wish list to spouses, friends and relatives. There is even an easy “email” link for each wish-list so you can inspire others to create (or give them confidence to give a fiber-arts gift that will be adored)
To be eligible, the wish-lists must:
- Be public and have descriptive text entered for its “name” and “description” fields.
- For the social media and blog prizes, the wishlist must be shared publicly, and we need to be able to find it:
- Blogs / your website: let us know the URL so we can check it out
- Facebook: either post to your timeline and make the post “public”, or share to our facebook page so we can see it
- Twitter: tag your tweet with #halcyonwishlist so we can find it
- Pintrest: tag your pin with #halcyonwishlist so we can find it
- You may enter up to three times:
- enter one list that is eligible in up to three categories (share it multiple places!)
- enter a separate list in each category
- You must let us know about your entry by
December 1st, December 12th, 2014, by filling out this form
Criteria to win:
- Winners will be selected by Halcyon Yarn staff. Staff will vote to determine the lists that are most inspiring in each category. We’ll be looking for lists that are original, creative, and make us want to create! Therefore, please use the list description to say why the item(s) you have put on your list are there, what would/will you make with them, and why you want/recommend them
- Since Halcyon staff will be voting on entries, and staff will be recusing themselves from voting on entries that were posted by family or personal friends, local customers may wish to inquire before entering
- Must let us know about your wishlist entry by Dec. 1st, 2014. We will review entries the following week, and announce a winner in a subsequent newsletter
To make your own wishlist just log-in to our site (user accounts are free of course!). Then visit individual yarn and equipment pages, where you should see a “+ wishlist” button. Click it to create and add items to as many lists as you like.
*The value of items on your list may be any amount; the “win your wish-list” prize will be in the form of a Halcyon Yarn gift certificate, good for the amount of the prize for that category. Questions on details, how-to, or other? Contact Amos.
Visit our wish-list-entry page to participate. Have fun sharing and good luck!